Farmers Market of the Ozarks (FMO) staff and vendors have strived to address any violations of the dog policy or other problems with dogs and the market has continued to receive a number of complaints from customers about problems with dogs, including dog quarrels, defecation, crowd and safety concerns. Crowded market days are especially stressful for dogs, even those who are exceptionally well socialized. While many farmers’ markets have banned dogs, the market’s board has opted instead to adopt a policy that seeks to accommodate all community members, including those who support dogs at the market and those who do not. Please read and sign the attached liability agreement.
Customers who bring dogs to the market need to follow these rules:
- Only dogs with the FMO Good Pet bandana and a signed liability agreement will be allowed in the pavilion, promenade, or plaza areas during market hours.
- Your dog must be sociable to people and other dogs to earn the right to shop at the market. Completion of the AKC Canine Good Citizen Program or similar training is essential to help balance the concerns of our customers, the vendors, and the dogs. Dogs who meet this requirement will receive bandanas to show their accomplishment.
- Dogs must be current on all vaccinations and meet municipal requirements.
- Dogs must be kept on a short (6 ft or less), non-retractable leather or nylon leash. No exceptions.
- Keep your dog under control and by your side at all times. Jumping on, licking, or aggressive behavior toward other people will result in the customer being required to immediately return the FMO Good Pet bandana.
- Aggressive behavior, barking, and growling are signs of a dog that is stressed. Owners of dogs who fight will be asked to immediately return the FMO Good Pet bandana and remove their dog from the market.
- Keep dogs away from produce, plants and other food products. Food safety is a key issue to local food producers. Please control the head and the rear of the dog while visiting vendor’s stalls.
- Not everyone is a dog lover: Be considerate.
- Come prepared to clean up after your dog! Bags are located in locations in and near the pavilion, and along the paths near the micro orchard.
- If a dog is not behaving in accordance with these rules, the market staff will to ask that the owner to return the bandana and remove the dog immediately.
- No other pets will be allowed.
- Service animals are welcome.
Misti Fry of Side Kick Dog Training Academy presents the Canine Good Citizen Program and it’s new role for shoppers and their family members at the Farmers Market of the Ozarks on this video, watch here: